Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Running on Empty

As a runner I am always looking for inspirational people in the running world, and since I started with ultra running I have come across some true legends. They are all unique in their own way, and inspire you in different ways, from folks like Karnazes and Engle, Caballo Blanco and Barefoot Ted, Jenn Shelton and Ryan Sandes, but one man stands out head and shoulders above the rest, Marshall Ulrich.



When you ask a young child what they want to be when they grow up, you get answers like "I want to be a fireman", or "I want to be a doctor". Well, when I grow up I would like to be Marshall Ulrich. Marshall is an old school runner and I believe he is one of the most humble human beings on earth. He has achieved so much in is life time, that it would be hard for any person to try and match what Marshall has done.

When I am running Comrades next week, I'll be thinking of Marshall when it gets tough, as he ran across America from San Fran to NYC, averaging between 70 and 50 miles per day, for more than 46 days, day in and day out. Respect!

Marshall has a book out which I am reading at the moment called Running on Empty. Please get it as soon as possible!!! It is availible on Amazon and iBooks as a download.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your comments about Marshall and Running on Empty. We appreciate you helping to spread the word. BEST OF LUCK at Comrades. Admirable that you're doing it for a great cause. Good for you! Keep an eye out for Steve Shepard, our Marketing Director, who is doing fantastic stuff oganizing events, etc. for Running on Empty, and is an accomplished runner himself.
    Heather Ulrich

    ReplyDelete